How to Get an Australia ETA Visa
When it comes to confusing visa options, Australia is no exception! Even if you have multiple friends living there who are locals, married into oz, or have gained citizenship after working there for so many years. I quickly found that regardless of how long or how often someone has been to Australia, you’re bound to get some confusing or contradicting answers.
This was the situation I found myself in after booking my flights and then realizing a Visa is $120, I then reached out to some of my friends. After a few days of various answers, they were finally able to agree on the right one, which is also conveniently the easiest and cheapest way to visit the outback. The Australian ETA Visa is only $20 AUD and is only offered to a select few countries, but if you’re one of them like I am, you can have your visa approved within 48 hours.
An ETA Visa is for Tourists looking to visit Australia for no more than 3 months within a 12-month period. An Australian Electronic Travel Authority or ETA is electronically linked to your passport and allows you to enter and travel around Australia. It’s intended for short term stays for tourism and business visits.
If you’d like to work or find another type of longer-term visa then you should visit https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au//visas/getting-a-visa/visa-finder.
To apply for an Australian ETA Visa online go to https://www.eta.homeaffairs.gov.au/ETAS3/etas, you must hold a passport from one of the following countries:
- South Korea
- United States
As always, it’s extremely important that the details provided for your ETA application are exactly the same as they appear in your passport.
How to apply
- To apply for an ETA online you must be outside Australia.
- An ETA is for short term stays for tourism or business visitor activities.
- You must have your passport, email address and a valid credit card to complete the online application.
- The details you provide in your online ETA application need to be exactly the same as they appear in your passport.
- Anyone who arrives in Australia without a valid travel document, visa or authority can be refused entry to or delayed until their identity and claims to enter Australia have been confirmed.
Steps 1-7 for Online Australian ETA Visa Application
Step 1: Select ETA Type and Location
On this step, you need to select what type of visit and your location.
Step 2: Personal and Passport Details
This is where you enter all your personal details from your passport and personal answers.
Step 3: Address and Contact Details
Step 4: Review Your Information
This is where you review the accuracy of the information you are submitting.
Step 5: Make A Payment
This is where you make your payment of $20 Australian Dollars.
This page is the confirmation information including your application reference number.
Step 7: Status
This is where you are redirected to check updates on the status of your application.
Other ETA Conditions
Conditions of an ETA are:
- It is your responsibility to know what your visa allows you to do while in Australia.
- After your ETA is granted you are able to enter and leave Australia as many times as you need to during a 12 month period, from the date the ETA is granted or until the expiry date of your passport, whichever is earlier.
- You can stay in Australia for a maximum of three months on each visit.
- You must not study for more than three months.
- You must be free from tuberculosis.
- You must not have any criminal convictions for which you have been sentenced for a total combined period of 12 months or more.
- It is illegal to work on an Australian ETA Visa.
For More information
If you would like more information on an ETA, you can view Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to Get Australian ETA Visa
Thanks for reading my “How to Get Australia ETA Visa” blog post, please feel free to leave a comment below or on my Youtube. Follow my Instagram to keep up with my travels and subscribe to my blog for more travel tips and adventures.
Other Related Articles: